Writing An Essay By Amateur’s Eyes
For many students, essay writing is a challenge that makes them afraid. However, they must overcome this fear since any studying program involves at least one research paper in each discipline. This article is a detailed guide from the beginning of the writing till the end. It will help amateurs to orient and craft a paper correctly and pretend for high grades.
10 steps to write an assignment
The template of the writing process will help you to write a research paper efficiently. Do the following:
- Determine the purpose of the assignment. It is vital to understand what your research advisor indents to check through the paper. Many students skip this stage, fulfilling the context with nonessential information to match the word count requirement and get low grades subsequently. Students may collapse with different assignments, e.g., various types of essays, research papers, bibliography, and so on. These all have specific features. Following the instructions is crucial when you want to write essay. If you write several ones at once, highlight the most vital requirements in each not to mix the assignments.
- Choose the right topic. Having a clear image of what to write about is the next stage of the writing process. For that, choose the topic that inspires you. That will make the research process thrilling. Concurrently, check up on the information that you are going to represent in your assignment. In case of a lack of it, take a better topic with broad evidence and findings. Estimate its level of complexity and your knowledge in this field. Be ready to investigate it carefully and represent yourself as an expert in this subject. If you received an inextricable topic from your professor without a choice option, you might need a research paper writing service. If you continue to struggle — go on this template.
- Do the research. There are several methods to analyze the sources:
- flick through identifying the key points;
- focus on credible sources;
- dig deeper, examining the correctness of the fact.
Reading different articles, estimating the viewpoints is a skill that needs some practice. Select the information for your paper carefully.
- Manage the research. Organize the work with sources carefully according to the type of your assignment to save time and not miss anything. When writing a bibliography, which requires extensive citing, mark the text you want to include in your paper, not forgetting to quote the source according to the academic requirements. When you write an essay, note essential points that you have learned or find useful for your paper.
- Generate a thesis statement. That is the core thought that you will be explaining and proving in your paper. It must strictly fit the assignment regardless if you support this thought to contradict it. Make it definite, avoiding general foggy phrases about nothing. Also, it should be discussable. Otherwise, your paper loses any sense. There is nothing to prove in the statement: «The traffic lights are three colors.» But «The practicability of beeping traffic lights» is already a discussable theme. If this is your first assignment, and you are not sure about the correctness of the thesis statement, consult with your research advisor at this stage and correct it in time. In case of a mistake, your further work will have been a complete waste.
- Write a draft. The ways of writing a draft may vary. If you have a set of instructions from your teacher, follow them. If not, determine the chapters, their number, and write structurally. Observe the thesis from two-three different angles for a comprehensive analysis. Avoid making the paper too long, speaking maximally precisely. Three concrete paragraphs are better than five ones with weak arguments. Implement critical thinking during writing to consider the opponents’ point of view and convince your professor of the correctness of your judgment entirely.
- Complete the paperwork. Concentrate on the writing and express the knowledge the way you understand it, without fear of using the inappropriate word. During the editing stage, you can correct it. Make your text flow smoothly, gradually observing one argument in one chapter. Each claim should strictly relate to the thesis statement. Use the facts and evidence from credible sources to prove it. Without well-founded support, your words will sound unpersuasive. Avoid rewriting documentation in your own words, simply copying someone’s ideas for essays which is plagiarism. The content of your research paper should be an analysis of the observed facts. Using a quote from an authoritative person or providing a concept as an example, format it correctly according to academic requirements. Common knowledge does not suppose any quoting.
- Editing. Do a pause as soon as you finish the content and return to editing a few hours after. Fresh insight into the written essay will help to do the corrections objectively. When editing, pay attention to the general structure and organization. The word amount should fit the requirements. Measure the length of each chapter. These should be approximately equal. Make sure that the entire text makes sense, including the chained facts. Replace the weak words with strong ones to sound convincing.
- Do the grammatical and punctuation corrections. Even superb paperwork with impressing facts but written with mistakes can not deserve a high grade. Mistakes spoil the overall impression about an author and call doubts about the general level of education. Hence, never neglect this step. Pay close attention to the citing, appendixes (if you have any). Format the paper according to the required style (APA, Chicago, MLA, etc.). Do the breaks if necessary to finish the editing maximally focused.
- Print your paper. A logical step, but some students do it five minutes before the deadline. In case of some troubles, they fail all the efforts done before. Leave some spare time for the sake of good order, and do not hesitate to contact your research advisor before the deadline.
Gradually, any student can handle these steps and do them intuitively without a template.
Learning how to compose a research paper is essential for all students. The writing process is identical for all disciplines, types of paperwork, and sources distinguish only. Hence, managing a working process may seem rugged at the beginning. But it will become natural with each attempt to write essays later. Experiencing your writing skills is vital for successful studying and professional activity in the future.